The fact that you're curious about what an artist management contract template is indicates you're one step closer to executing your very first significant transaction as a sole proprietorship. The moment has come for those of you who have never had to send out an artist management contract before – whether it is because you have dealt with smaller clients or because you have always chosen to depend on verbal or over-the-phone agreements – to understand precisely what an artist management contract is... as well as how to put one together for your freelance artist management operation.
An artist management contract template will include all of the relevant information that you and your client have discussed as part of your partnership, as well as the terms and conditions under which your work together will be done, how your services will be performed, and how you will be compensated. What you don't want is to put in the time and effort necessary to work with a particular artist only to have the partnership break down without any sort of financial compensation. Please keep in mind that unless you have a contract that clearly specifies what has to be done as part of the partnership, it is difficult to predict the result of your work. All of these particulars are critical.
Finally, an artist management contract guarantees that you get the compensation to which you are due, according to the terms and circumstances that you and your client have agreed upon prior to presenting the written agreement to your client, whether in person or by email, for example.
Avoid working with prospective clients who object to the use of a formal contract for your partnership, since contracts offer an essential legal framework that is required to protect you and your freelance artist management operation in the case that the partnership does not turn out as expected. As a result of the contract, your clients are protected in the event that you fail to perform as agreed upon, which is an essential aspect of any commercial transaction. When a contract is in place, everyone benefits, and the only ones who lose out are the folks who didn't have a contract to begin with in the first place.
The use of powerful job-specific contract development tools accessible to artist managers who choose to work with Indy's professional contract development software can streamline the contract-writing process, which benefits all parties. The use of Indy software allows artist managers to create artist management contracts for their clients that are simple to browse for any consumer and that are consistent with their brand.
Keep in mind that while creating an artist management contract, you'll need to understand the extent of your job, not only in terms of time but also in terms of resources and travel expenses needed to complete your job.
As soon as you have a basic understanding of what an artist management contract template is, it will then be time to get started and learn how to customize one for your specific requirements. The ability to establish a good reputation as an artist manager will enable you to better promote your company, increase word-of-mouth marketing, and attract more consumers as a result.
Absolutely! Your work is valuable, and it should be protected by a legal contract. When everything goes well, there are no problems with clients. Contracts help you create a plan that protects you when a job doesn’t go quite so smoothly.
Here are some benefits of using a contract:
When you include the payment amount and terms in your artist management contract, you pave the way to getting paid properly for your project. When the project or milestone finishes, every party knows what to pay and when to pay it.
Scope creep is difficult for just about every freelance artist manager. When the size of the job changes without warning, finishing on time and getting paid properly become harder. A clearly defined project scope in a contract avoids any scope creep.
You can create a simple contract on your own by recording the work to be done, the amount to be paid, and the timeline for delivery. A simple document like this is better than nothing.
That document won’t make a professional impression for your business, though. Instead, you can use our artist management contract template.
Here are three reasons you should try our contract template instead of writing your own:
Let’s check out what needs to be in the agreement between you and your client.
It is important to note that all of the wording in an artist management contract template should be as clear and simple as possible in order to prevent misconceptions and confusion for the client when they examine the agreement and scope of work. When you and your client first begin working together in your professional relationship, it is essential that you and your client communicate completely and effectively with one another. It is important to recognize that effective and open communication will enable you to identify and discuss all elements of your contract while still fulfilling the needs of both your client and your freelance artist management business.
As you write out your first artist management contract, you may need to establish a very basic description of the partnership that allows for some wiggle room for negotiation, depending on the needs and desires of the client. Prior to beginning any work for the job at hand, this will enable you and your customer to get on the same page about the scope of the partnership and the work involved, as well as the steps required to do the job as expected.
In order to create a basic artist management contract that does not address all of the legal elements of safeguarding both parties as well as your work, you may simply write down what the task is, how much money is required, and the deadline by which it is expected to be submitted in order for your work to be considered complete and accurate. However, if there are certain aspects of the partnership that are important to you and that you feel the need to enforce, a formal contract is the only way to ensure your requirements are met on your side of the transaction.
In the event of a comprehensive contract, you will not have to deal with any unnecessary issues. You already have to deal with the unexpected nature of the partnership, including the unpredictable nature of job-specific tasks; why should you have to worry about legal repercussions on top of that?
Contractors for independent artist management get access to a great method to get started on establishing a contract for their artist management business via the use of Indy contract templates. The templates are easy to use and may be customized to meet your particular requirements.
Always include the following information in your contracts: the scope of work, a comprehensive description of services, payment terms, general project-specific conditions, and liability limitations. These components will nearly always be present in any authentic contract, regardless of the circumstances. So, what exactly should be included in an artist management contract?
The agreement between you and your client will be rewritten clearly and succinctly at this step of the contract-writing process, and the work that needs to be done will be detailed in its entirety.
Description of Services
You will explain in as much detail as possible what you will do for your client and how you intend to go about accomplishing these tasks in this part of the contract (daily tasks, marketing efforts, scheduling and booking, etc.)
You promise that your time spent on the project will not be squandered in any manner by signing this section of the artist management contract. Use this area to notify the client of the process of approval that you desire.
Consider if you are fully satisfied with your suggested deadlines and whether you will be able to stick to them throughout the event and the editing process, if applicable. You should keep in mind that if you meet your deadlines, the customer will meet their payment dates as well.
Payment Dates and Conditions
Make certain that all pertinent information about the payment procedure is clearly and prominently displayed in this area. Include payment dates in a prominent and legible manner, as well as terms and conditions such as late penalties and acceptable payment methods.
When it comes to tax paperwork, it is important to be acquainted with the rules and laws in your area. Some municipalities do not have any rules in place, while others have them. If you are in question, contact your local tax office for assistance.
As a freelancer, this should be included in every contract you sign unless you've been given an exceptional opportunity to work exclusively. An exclusivity clause protects you from being too dependent on a single client since, as an artist management, you rely on a wide number of clients to survive.
You may find that some clients prefer that all collaborations stay secret; if this is the case for your event, be sure to add a provision stating that your client may request that all relationships remain confidential.
Even when everything goes according to plan, things don't always turn out the way we expect them to. When you have a termination clause in place, you and your client have the option to end a business relationship for valid reasons that you both agree upon.
This is a critical part of any artist management agreement to read carefully. The provisions of this section will act as a protection for both parties in the event that anything goes wrong during the course of your cooperation with respect to the project. If issues occur, it's a good idea to include notes on how you intend to resolve them so that the process is less complicated to deal with for both you and your customer when the time comes to deal with them.
If you want to find an artist management contract template quickly and efficiently, use your favorite search engine to look for templates that meet your requirements online. It is likely that you will find that freelancers have access to a large number of choices, and that selecting a template that works for you may prove to be more difficult than actually filling out the contract with the particular specifics of your job.
Remember that certain contract templates are only accessible in PDF format and cannot be edited or updated, which means you'll have to type everything out by hand instead. There are certain contract kinds that may not contain all of the parts you'll need to make sure you've covered each and every aspect of the project scope in depth. To save time and money, consider utilizing one of Indy's sophisticated artist management contract templates to construct a contract for your next partnership instead. All of the essential parts that should be included in a freelance artist management agreement are included in Indy's artist management contract templates, which are easy to use and contain all of the necessary information.
The use of Indy's templates, along with the use of our free contract generator, is an excellent method to save time. With the help of this website, freelance artist managers may draft a contract in a matter of minutes, saving them time to devote to other duties such as supporting the needs of the client and tending to other important business matters as agreed upon by all parties.
As a freelancer, you may find that Indy's artist management contracts ease the whole writing process by including invoice templates, file sharing tools, and other useful business elements that may assist you in operating your company more quickly and successfully. You may be able to improve your productivity by taking on the responsibility for the commercial elements of your company.
We have two documents you can use as a freelance artist manager. You can sign up for a free Indy account and use our contract generator to create the correct contract for your needs in a few minutes.
If you don’t want to sign up for an account, you can download a non-editable contract to get started. You’ll need to review it carefully before using it to ensure all the details match your requirements.
This Аrtist Management Agreement (the "Agreement"), dated [the date both parties will have signed] is entered into by [artist manager name], an individual residing in [address], (the "Аrtist Manager"), and [client name], an individual residing in [address], (the "Client").
Whereas, the Аrtist Manager and the Client desire to establish the terms and conditions under which the Аrtist Manager will provide services to the Client, the parties agree as follows:
1. Scope of Work. The Аrtist Manager agrees to perform such consulting, advisory and related services specified on Exhibit A to this Agreement ("Description of Services").
2. Term. This Agreement shall commence from the date this Agreement is signed by both parties and shall continue until the scope of work defined in the Description of Services is completed (such period, as it may be extended or sooner terminated in accordance with the provisions of Section 4, being referred to as the ("Service Period").
a. Service Cost. In consideration of the Service, the Client will pay the Аrtist Manager of $ per hour (the "Service Cost").
b. Expenses. The Аrtist Manager shall be responsible for all business expenses incurred by the Аrtist Manager in connection with, or related to, the performance of the services.
c. Invoices. The Client shall pay to the Аrtist Manager amounts shown on each statement or invoice described in Section 3(a) and 3(b) within () days after receipt thereof.
d. Benefits. The Аrtist Manager shall not be entitled to any benefits, coverages or privileges, including, without limitation, health insurance, social security, unemployment, medical or pension payments, made available to employees of the Client.
4. Termination. This Agreement may be terminated prior to the end of the Service Period in the following manner: (a) by either the Аrtist Manager or the Client upon not less than () days prior written notice to the other party; (b) by the non-breaching party, upon twenty-four (24) hours prior written notice to the breaching party if one party has materially breached this Agreement; or (c) at any time upon the mutual written consent of the parties hereto. In the event of termination, the Аrtist Manager shall be entitled to payments for services performed that have not been previously paid and, subject to the limitations in Section 3.2, for expenses paid or incurred prior to the effective date of termination that have not been previously paid. Such payment shall constitute full settlement of any and all claims of the Аrtist Manager of every description against the Client. In the event that the Client’s payment to the Аrtist Manager exceeds the amount of services performed and (subject to the limitations in Section 3.2) for expenses paid or incurred prior to the effective date of termination, then the Аrtist Manager will immediately refund the excess amount to the Client. Such refund shall constitute full settlement of any and all claims of the Client of every description against the Аrtist Manager.
5. Cooperation.The Аrtist Manager shall use Аrtist Manager's best efforts in the performance of Аrtist Manager's obligations under this Agreement. The Client shall provide such access to its information and property as may be reasonably required in order to permit the Аrtist Manager to perform Аrtist Manager's obligations hereunder. The Аrtist Manager shall cooperate with the Client’s personnel, shall not interfere with the conduct of the Client’s business and shall observe all rules, regulations and security requirements of the Client concerning the safety of persons and property.
6. Proprietary Information and Inventions.
a. Proprietary Information.
1. The Аrtist Manager acknowledges that Аrtist Manager’s relationship with the Client is one of high trust and confidence and that in the course of Аrtist Manager's service to the Client, Аrtist Manager will have access to and contact with Proprietary Information. The Аrtist Manager will not disclose any Proprietary Information to any person or entity other than employees of the Client or use the same for any purposes (other than in the performance of the services) without written approval by an officer of the Client, either during or after the Consultation Period, unless and until such Proprietary Information has become public knowledge without fault by the Аrtist Manager.
2. For purposes of this Agreement, Proprietary Information shall mean, by way of illustration and not limitation, all information, whether or not in writing, whether or not patentable and whether or not copyrightable, of a private, secret or confidential nature, owned, possessed or used by the Client, concerning the Client’s business, business relationships or financial affairs, including, without limitation, any Invention, formula, vendor information, customer information, apparatus, equipment, trade secret, process, research, report, technical or research data, clinical data, know-how, computer program, software, software documentation, hardware design, technology, product, processes, methods, techniques, formulas, compounds, projects, developments, marketing or business plan, forecast, unpublished financial statement, budget, license, price, cost, customer, supplier or personnel information or employee list that is communicated to, learned of, developed or otherwise acquired by the Аrtist Manager in the course of Аrtist Manager's service as a Аrtist Manager to the Client.
3. The Аrtist Manager’s obligations under this Section 6 shall not apply to any information that (i) is or becomes known to the general public under circumstances involving no breach by the Аrtist Manager or others of the terms of this Section 6, (ii) is generally disclosed to third parties by the Client without restriction on such third parties, or (iii) is approved for release by written authorization of an officer of the Client.
4. The Аrtist Manager agrees that all files, documents, letters, memoranda, reports, records, data sketches, drawings, models, laboratory notebooks, program listings, computer equipment or devices, computer programs or other written, photographic, or other tangible material containing Proprietary Information, whether created by the Аrtist Manager or others, which shall come into Аrtist Manager's custody or possession, shall be and are the exclusive property of the Client to be used by the Аrtist Manager only in the performance of Аrtist Manager's duties for the Client and shall not be copied or removed from the Client’s premises except in the pursuit of the business of the Client. All such materials or copies thereof and all tangible property of the Client in the custody or possession of the Аrtist Manager shall be delivered to the Client, upon the earlier of (i) a request by the Client or (ii) the termination of this Agreement. After such delivery, the Аrtist Manager shall not retain any such materials or copies thereof or any such tangible property.
5. The Аrtist Manager agrees that Аrtist Manager’s obligation not to disclose or to use information and materials of the types set forth in paragraphs (2) and (4) above, and Аrtist Manager's obligation to return materials and tangible property set forth in paragraph (4) above extends to such types of information, materials and tangible property of customers of the Client or suppliers to the Client or other third parties who may have disclosed or entrusted the same to the Client or to the Аrtist Manager.
6. The Аrtist Manager acknowledges that the Client from time to time may have agreements with other persons or with the United States Government, or agencies thereof, that impose obligations or restrictions on the Client regarding inventions made during the course of work under such agreements or regarding the confidential nature of such work. The Аrtist Manager agrees to be bound by all such obligations and restrictions that are known to Аrtist Manager and to take all action necessary to discharge the obligations of the Client under such agreements.
1. All inventions, ideas, creations, discoveries, computer programs, works of authorship, data, developments, technology, designs, innovations and improvements (whether or not patentable and whether or not copyrightable) which are made, conceived, reduced to practice, created, written, designed or developed by the Аrtist Manager, solely or jointly with others or under Аrtist Manager's direction and whether during normal business hours or otherwise, (i) during the Consultation Period if related to the business of the Client or (ii) after the Consultation Period if resulting or directly derived from Proprietary Information (as defined below) (collectively under clauses (i) and (ii), "Inventions"), shall be the sole property of the Client. The Аrtist Manager hereby assigns to the Client all Inventions and any and all related patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, and other industrial and intellectual property rights and applications therefore, in the United States and elsewhere and appoints any officer of the Client as Аrtist Manager's duly authorized attorney to execute, file, prosecute and protect the same before any government agency, court or authority. However, this paragraph shall not apply to Inventions which do not relate to the business or research and development conducted or planned to be conducted by the Client at the time such Invention is created, made, conceived or reduced to practice and which are made and conceived by the Аrtist Manager not during normal working hours, not on the Client’s premises and not using the Client’s tools, devices, equipment or Proprietary Information. The Аrtist Manager further acknowledges that each original work of authorship which is made by the Аrtist Manager (solely or jointly with others) within the scope of the Agreement and which is protectable by copyright is a "work made for hire," as that term is defined in the United States Copyright Act.
2. Upon the request of the Client and at the Client’s expense, the Аrtist Manager shall execute such further assignments, documents and other instruments as may be necessary or desirable to fully and completely assign all Inventions to the Client and to assist the Client in applying for, obtaining and enforcing patents or copyrights or other rights in the United States and in any foreign country with respect to any Invention. The Аrtist Manager also hereby waives all claims to moral rights in any Inventions.
3. The Аrtist Manager shall promptly disclose to the Client all Inventions and will maintain adequate and current written records (in the form of notes, sketches, drawings and as may be specified by the Client) to document the conception and/or first actual reduction to practice of any Invention. Such written records shall be available to and remain the sole property of the Client at all times.
4. Notwithstanding the foregoing in this Section 6(b), the ownership and use of the Inventions that are assigned to the Client in Section 6(b)(i) (the "Assigned Inventions") shall be limited as set forth in Exhibit B.
7. Limitation of Liability. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained elsewhere herein, neither party shall be liable to the other for any consequential, special, incidental, indirect or punitive damages of any kind or character, including, but not limited to, loss of use, loss of profit, loss of anticipated profit, loss of bargain, loss of revenue or loss of product or production, however arising under this contract or as a result of, relating to or in connection with the service and the parties’ performance of the obligations hereunder, and no such claim shall be made by any party against the other regardless of whether such claim is based or claimed to be based on negligence (including sole, joint, active, passive, or concurrent negligence, but excluding gross negligence), fault, breach of warranty, breach of agreement, breach of contract, statute, strict liability or any other theory of liability.
8. Indemnification. The Аrtist Manager shall be solely liable for, and shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Company and its successors and assigns from any claims, suits, judgments or causes of action initiated by any third party against the Company where such actions result from or arise out of the services performed by the Аrtist Manager or its Employees under this Agreement. The Аrtist Manager shall further be solely liable for, and shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Company and its successors and assigns from and against any claim or liability of any kind (including penalties, fees or charges) resulting from the Аrtist Manager’s or its Employees’ failure to pay the taxes, penalties, and payments referenced in Section 9 of this Agreement. The Аrtist Manager shall further indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Company and its successors and assigns from and against any and all loss or damage resulting from any misrepresentation, or any non-fulfillment of any representation, responsibility, covenant or agreement on its part, as well as any and all acts, suits, proceedings, demands, assessments, penalties, judgments of or against the Company relating to or arising out of the activities of the Аrtist Manager or its Employees and the Аrtist Manager shall pay reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses incident thereto.
9. Independent Contractor Status. The parties shall be deemed independent contractors for all purposes hereunder. Accordingly:
a. The Аrtist Manager will use its own equipment, tools and materials to perform its obligations hereunder.
b. The Client will not control how the Service is performed on a day-to-day basis and the Аrtist Manager will determine when, where and how the Service will be provided.
c. The Client will not provide training to the Аrtist Manager.
d. The Аrtist Manager will be solely responsible for all state and federal income taxes in connection with this Agreement.
e. This Agreement does not constitute an employment, partnership, joint venture or agency between the parties hereto, nor shall either of the parties hold itself out as such contrary to the terms hereof by advertising or otherwise nor shall either of the parties become bound or become liable because of any representation, action or omission of the other.
a. Survival. Sections 4 through 11 shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement.
b. Non-Solicitation. During the Service Period and for a period of [six (6) months] thereafter, the Аrtist Manager shall not, either alone or in association with others, (a) solicit, or permit any organization directly or indirectly controlled by the Аrtist Manager to solicit, any employee of the Client to leave the employment of the Client, or (b) solicit or permit any organization directly or indirectly controlled by the Аrtist Manager to solicit any person who is engaged by the Client.
c. Use of Subcontractors. The Аrtist Manager may use trusted contractors to complete components of the Аrtist Manager’s obligations hereunder, provided that the Аrtist Manager shall remain solely responsible for such contractors’ performance, that the Client shall have no obligation to such contractors and the use of such contractors shall not cause any increase in fees, costs or expenses that would otherwise be payable hereunder.
d. Entire Agreement. This Agreement (including the documents referred to herein) constitutes the entire agreement between the Client and the Аrtist Manager and supersedes any prior understandings, agreements or representations by the parties, whether written or oral, with respect to the subject matter hereof.
e. Assignment. Neither party may assign or transfer this Agreement in whole or in part, nor any of the rights hereunder, without prior written consent of the other party.
f. Notices. All notices required or permitted under this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed effective upon personal delivery or upon deposit in the United States Post Office, by registered or certified mail, postage prepaid, addressed to the other party at the address shown above, or at such other address or addresses as either party shall designate to the other in accordance with this Section 13.
g. Amendments. No amendment of any provision of this Agreement shall be valid unless the same shall be in writing and signed by each party.
h. Severability. Any term or provision of this Agreement that is invalid or unenforceable in any situation in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining terms and provisions hereof or the validity or enforceability of the offending term or provision in any other situation or in any other jurisdiction. If the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction declares that any term or provision hereof is invalid or unenforceable, the Аrtist Manager and the Client agree that the court making the determination of invalidity or unenforceability shall have the power to limit the term or provision, to delete specific words or phrases, or to replace any invalid or unenforceable term or provision with a term or provision that is valid and enforceable and that comes closest to expressing the intention of the invalid or unenforceable term or provision, and this Agreement shall be enforceable as so modified.
i. Force Majeure. Neither party will be liable for any failure or delay in its performance under this Agreement due to any cause beyond its reasonable control, including acts of war, acts of God, earthquake, flood, fire, embargo, riot, sabotage, or failure of third party power or telecommunications networks, provided that the delayed party: (a) gives the other party prompt notice of such cause and (b) uses its reasonable commercial efforts to promptly correct such failure or delay in performance.
j. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of (other than any principle of conflict or choice of laws that would cause the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction).
k. Arbitration. Any unresolved controversy or claim arising out of or relating to this Agreement, except as (i) otherwise provided in this Agreement, or (ii) any such controversies or claims arising out of either party’s intellectual property rights for which a provisional remedy or equitable relief is sought, shall be submitted to arbitration by one arbitrator mutually agreed upon by the parties, and if no agreement can be reached within thirty (30) days after names of potential arbitrators have been proposed by the American Arbitration Association (the “AAA”), then by one arbitrator having reasonable experience in corporate finance transactions of the type provided for in this Agreement and who is chosen by the AAA. The arbitration shall take place in, in accordance with the AAA rules then in effect, and judgment upon any award rendered in such arbitration will be binding and may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The prevailing party shall be entitled to reasonable attorney’s fees, costs, and necessary disbursements in addition to any other relief to which such party may be entitled.
l. Counterpart. This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument. This Agreement may be executed by facsimile, digital or electronic signature.
Explore our blog for more info on making money.